Zebra DataWedge is an application service that provides the capability to control and manage data capture hardware with little effort to integrate acquired data into new or existing apps with DataWedge. It enables any application on the device to capture data from multiple input sources (such as barcode scanner, MSR, RFID, voice, and serial port) and format the data as needed using simple options or custom complex rules. DataWedge functionality is based on profiles - the foreground activity determines the set of configurations to apply from the profile. Profiles are configured manually or programmatically using Android intent APIs, with the capability for mass deployment. DataWedge is available out-of-the-box with every Zebra Android device.
See What's New for new features from the latest DataWedge version.
Usage Notes and Behavior contain important information on the use of DataWedge.
Feature Matrix provides information on supported features based on the component versions (DataWedge version, build version, scan engine, etc.).
• Some DataWedge features are deprecated, including Reporting and some Voice Input options. See Important Information section below for more details.
• Starting with Android 14, all DataWedge intent APIs are secured in controlled mode; use of DataWedge intent APIs is restricted to apps whitelisted by administrators. Optionally, administrators can turn off controlled mode if DataWedge intent APIs need to be used by any application. See Control Access to DataWedge intent APIs.
The appearance of sample app screens displayed throughout this guide can vary by DataWedge version, Android version and screen size.
NextGen SimulScan consists of major SimulScan capabilities migrated to the internal scanning framework accessible through DataWedge and DataWedge intent APIs. These capabilities are supported on certain Bluetooth scanners and all Zebra devices with built-in imager and/or camera running Android 8.x Oreo and higher. For Zebra Professional-series devices, such as TC21 and TC26, NextGen SimulScan requires a Mobility DNA Enterprise license. NextGen SimulScan features (formerly part of SimulScan) are:
- MultiBarcode - acquire multiple, unique barcodes in a single scan session and deliver scanned data either immediately or after the specified number of barcodes per scan is reached. Options currently available:
- Number of barcodes per scan:
- Set a fixed quantity of barcodes to scan
- Set a minimum and maximum number of barcodes to scan (introduced in DataWedge 11.1)
- Instant Reporting - instantaneously report unique barcodes within a scanning session. (Must not be confused with DataWedge Reporting that is deprecated.)
- Report decoded barcodes - report decoded barcodes in a single scan session.
- Number of barcodes per scan:
- Document Capture - scan a document based on a Document Capture/NextGen SimulScan template. Create the template using NG SimulScan Template Builder, or starting with DataWedge 11.1, use one of the preloaded Document Capture templates.
See Simulscan Migration Alert for more information.
The following Voice Input features are deprecated and discontinued in Android 13 and later:
- Data capture start option - Start phrase
- Data capture start phrase
- Data capture end phrase
Zebra recommends to transition to using the PTT button to trigger voice capture.
DataWedge Reporting (not to be confused with Instant Reporting from MultiBarcode) is deprecated and discontinued in Android 13 and later. The data previously available through Reporting continues to be available through the following DataWedge intent APIs to identify the supported scanners and parameters:
- Enumerate Scanners - generates an index of scanners available on the device.
- Get Config - retrieves the
PARAM_LISTsettings, or the supported parameters, from the specified Profile; returned as a set of value pairs or a Plug-in config bundle. See Get Barcode Parameters for sample code.
External scanners and imagers are visible through the DataWedge UI based on the scanner framework version supported. Some examples are:
DataWedge is approved to run in any of the following selected system language:
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
After the system language is changed, a screen refresh (e.g. close and re-open DataWedge) is required for the selected language to be reflected.
- DataWedge profile and configuration changes now only apply to the single user, rather than globally to all users.
- New Soft Trigger API to start, stop or toggle a software trigger for voice input.
- New Data capture start option to trigger voice capture only via intent API.
- Updated instructions on control access to DataWedge intent APIs using Zebra Device Manager.
- New Universal Tire Mode for OCR Wedge to support Non-DOT standardized Tire Identification Numbers.
- Additional Country/State Support for OCR Wedge License Plates. See supported countries/states.
- Additional Country/State/Province Support for OCR Wedge Identification Documents. See supported document types by state, country, province.
- New scanner identifiers in Set Config: generic Bluetooth Zebra scanner and generic USB Zebra scanner.
- New Aim Type Timed Continuous for continuous proximity scanning.
- New WS50 programmer's guide coinciding with the new product release.
- New Shipping Container ID scan support.
- New Document Capture (from Workflow Input) enables a document to be previewed, either highlighted or enclosed by a border, to ensure the entire document is in the field of view prior to capturing it.
- Added support for USB Cradles with Bluetooth Scanner for barcode scanning in SSI mode.
- Corrected ImageProcessing class sample code - added the calculation for UV channel stride for odd stride support in order to generate the correct output image color.
See Version History.
To determine which DataWedge version is installed on a device, perform one of the following:
A. Open the About screen in DataWedge. Instructions are provided below.
B. Open App Info from DataWedge. Long press the DataWedge icon in the apps screen and tap App Info.
C. Use Get Version Info DataWedge intent API to retrieve the DataWedge version.
To open the About screen in DataWedge:
1. On the device, locate and tap the DataWedge icon in the Launcher screen or App Drawer:
Launcher icon for DataWedge 6.x
2. Tap the 3 dot menu icon. The DataWedge menu appears:
3. Tap About. The "About DataWedge" screen appears. The DataWedge version number is displayed. Notice that the Scanner Framework version also is shown - certain features may rely on the Scanner Framework version. See Feature Matrix for more information.
The "About DataWedge" box showing version numbers
4. If the DataWedge version on the device is different than that of this guide, return to the TechDocs tile page and select the appropriate version from the drop-down menu in the DataWedge tile.
Some device-specific Integrator Guides contain recommendations on how DataWedge should be configured or how apps should integrate with DataWedge. These are available on the Zebra support site.