StageNow 3.0 User Guide, Revision A
April 20, 2018
This guide provides the staging administrator with instructions for using StageNow 3.0 to create XML-based profiles for staging devices.
The following software must be installed on the staging workstation prior to using StageNow:
- Windows 7, 10 Pro (English or Chinese)
- A supported web browser:
- Firefox 29 or higher
- Google Chrome 35 or higher
- Internet Explorer 9 or higher
StageNow v3.0 supports all Zebra devices with the following operating systems and extensions:
- Android Nougat
- Android Marshmallow
- Android Lollipop
- Android KitKat
- MX 8.0
- MX 7.2
- MX 7.1
- MX 7.0
- MX 6.3
- MX 6.2
- MX 6.1
- MX 6.0
- MX 5.2
- MX 5.1
Installing StageNow provides instructions for installing, uninstalling, and upgrading the StageNow staging solution, including system requirements.
Getting Started describes the StageNow solution, including information about users, use cases and supported devices.
Profiles provides information about StageNow Wizards, which allow the staging administrator to define software configurations and installation scenarios for enterprise devices.
Profile Wizards describes how to use the profile-creation Wizards.
Settings provides information for the staging administrator about configuring and managing settings for use in profile creation.
Setting Types lists the parameters and values available when creating settings.
Device Staging provides information for the staging operator about selecting a profile for configuring the target devices and deploying the profile material to the devices.
Troubleshooting describes errors that can occur in the StageNow Tool and provides possible solutions.
Support for Chinese language. The StageNow tool and device client now support localization for the Chinese language and Chinese version of Windows.
Techdocs Chinese. Techdocs, the technical documentation site for Zebra solutions, now offers a language selector for StageNow in the upper-right corner of the English-language screen. Note: The selector disappears after selecting the Chinese language.
Support for server-based device staging on devices with MX 4.4 and higher.
IMPORTANT: Network transport protocols are subject to the following MX dependencies:
- MX 4.4+ - FTP only
- MX 7.0+ - HTTP/HTTPS
- MX 7.1+ - FTPS
Supports MX v8.0, adding the following features:
- Enhanced App Manager adds these new actions:
- Clear Application Cache
- Enable/disable All GMS Applications on the "Safe to Disable" list
- Enhanced License Manager adds these new actions:
- Select a licensing file to be embedded in the XML
- Select a preactivated license source
- Query product-specific license information
- Specify product name to be queried
- Select the method used to supply the license .bin file
- Enhanced Personal Dictionary now accepts shortcuts when bulk-adding terms from a file.
- Enhanced Power Manager adds a new action:
- Enable/disable PTT and scan buttons to wake the device from suspend mode
- Enhanced Settings Manager adds a new action:
- Enable/disable tethering and portable hotspot features
- Enhanced UI Manager adds these new actions:
- Enable/disable the Magnification Gesture
- Show/hide the Virtual KeyBoard while Physical Keyboard is active
Supports Windows 10 Pro (English and Chinese)
The Wipe a Device guide now includes instructions for bypassing the Android Setup Wizard following an Enterprise Reset.
External Staging Server Support
- Staging and deployment content can now be hosted on a server or system other than the StageNow workstation
- An external staging server can use FTP, FTPS, HTTP or HTTPS protocols
Zebra VC80 devices can now be staged using a serial scanner (RS232)
When staging Zebra TC20/TC25 devices, administrators can now prevent Analytics Manager from being disabled
Support for MX 7.2 adds the following Setting Types and features:
Audio Manager new CSP:
- Controls whether audio on a device plays only through a connected handset or through the handset and the built-in device speaker (supported on the Zebra VC80x only).
Display Manager new feature:
- On VC80 devices, adds the ability to force the display to “Stay Awake” and remain on.
Power Manager new feature:
- Turn ON/OFF “Doze Mode” energy saving features on the device. When enabled, only specially designated apps can prevent the device from entering a low-power state to preserve battery life.
Remote Scanner Manager new feature:
- Supports RS-507 and DS-3608 scanners
Settings Manager new feature:
- Enable/Disable application notification control on devices running Android Nougat
Included in the StageNow 3.0 download package:
staging_solution_signed.3.0.exe- StageNow v3.0 Tool Installable
StagingInstallGuide_V3.0.pdf- StageNow v3.0 Install Guide
See the full list of Zebra Android devices that support StageNow 3.0
Zebra devices running Android Nougat, Marshmallow, Lollipop, KitKat and Jelly Bean that ship with the StageNow Client support all device configuration options offered by the StageNow tool.
The MX features supported by a given device depends on the versions of Android, OSX, and MX versions in the device BSP. Refer to the MX feature matrix to determine features supported by devices in your organization.
The free StageNow application can be downloaded and installed on any Windows 7 PC with no pre-requisite software and with no need to purchase, locate, license or install other components.