This section covers troubleshooting steps and Frequently Asked Questions.
This section discusses common issues that can occur and possible solutions. Common issues include being unable to connect to the server, invalid certificate, or incorrect login credentials entered. Server log files, located in default folder
\Program Files (x86)\Zebra Technologies\ZDVC\Backend Server\log, can help diagnose issues encountered.
With SSL certificates, verify the connection is secure by clicking on the padlock icon next to the URL field in the browser.
Possible issues or causes related to server certificates:
- Error “Unable to communicate with the server” occurs after the server certificate is renewed. After applying the new certificate, open the certificate manager and check the expiration date of the new certificate to verify the certficate is updated.
- If the certificate password changed, the new password needs to be encrypted. Run the ZDVC installer and select Modify. Enter the information prompted and proceed to complete the process.
- If the certificate password did not change, ensure the .env (from default folder:
/Program Files/Zebra Technologies/ZDVC/WebUI) and application.properties (from default folder:
/Program Files/Zebra Technologies/ZDVC/BackendServer/config) files reflect the proper certificate folder path and file name.
- Error "Unable to write 'random state'" occurs when generating the SSL certificate with OpenSSL. The command prompt may need to be launched in "Run As Administrator" mode.
- "Warning: Can't open config file [folder_path]/openssl.cnf" occurs when generating the SSL certificate with OpenSSL. An OpenSSL variable may need to be set in the Windows system with the following command:
where [folder_path] is the path to the OpenSSL directory.
- Error related to passphrase or certificate password. Verify the certificate password is entered correctly during installation. Perform the server installation again to enter the correct certificate password.
It is possible the certificate password entered during server installation does not match the actual certificate. Perform the server installation again to enter the correct certificate password.
No communication between the server and web portal. Verify there is communication between the server and web portal by checking whether an endpoint is accessible through the browser. This is accomplished by appending a single endpoint to the server URL. For example:
https://hostname.company.com:8080/zdvc/dtrk/admindevops/getDeviceStatisticsSummary, where endpoint
/zdvc/dtrk/admindevops/getDeviceStatisticsSummaryis appended to server URL
Sample result string:
If the endpoint is not accessible, there is no communication between the server and web portal. Verify that the server is running. It is possible that the certificate is invalid.
Incorrect server ports. Check if the proper port is in the listening state on the server. For example, from the command prompt enter:
netstat -aon | find /I “xxxx” where "xxxx" is the designated backend server port (e.g. 8080) or web portal (UI) port (e.g. 8443). These same ports specified during [server installation](../setup#serverinstallation) must match the ports specified in files **.env** (from default folder: `/Program Files/Zebra Technologies/ZDVC/WebUI`) and **application.properties** (from default folder: `/Program Files/Zebra Technologies/ZDVC/BackendServer/config`).
If updated information is not seen in the server Admin View, refresh the web page in the browser.
- Ensure the the Server URL, Server Auth UserName and Server Auth Password are entered correctly. The Server URL can be obtained from the Server Settings tab in the admin view in the format:
hostname.company.com:8080/zdvc, where "hostname.company.com" and the port number "8080" is replaced with the appropriate information.
- Network issues could be preventing communication from the device to the server. Verify network connectivity.
There could be a network delay in contacting the server. Wait for some time to elapse and then retry. Otherwise check for network issues.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Starting with PowerPrecision Console 2.3.1, support for self-signed certificates was added to help simplify deployment of product demos and trials. An SSL certificate is still required for secure communications.
Web portal: To access the web portal, enter the server URL in the browser based on your installation, for example:
https://hostname.company.com:8443/zdvc, where "hostname.company.com:8443" is replaced with the appropriate domain and port number. The default super administrator user name is SAdmin. The password is the SuperAdmin and DB Password entered during server installation. Additional users can be added based on Admin, Manager, and User roles.
Client devices: Devices must be configured with the Server URL, Server Auth Key, and Server Auth Password set during server installation.
My SSL certificate password changed and I am no longer able to access the web portal. What can I do?
Passwords are encrypted during installation. If any password needs to be changed after installation, re-launch the installer and click Modify. Enter the information prompted and proceed to complete the process.