The instructions below for updating the EMDK runtime via the EMDK OS update package pertain to devices running KitKat only. Devices running Lollipop+ will have the EMDK built in to the devices OS and can only be updated with a device BSP update package.
The OS Update package that comes with the EMDK will not be supported on Lollipop+
- Connect the device to PC.
- Launch the Start menu program shortcut
Device Runtime Deployment. This will open the command prompt window.
- Click any key to continue.
- This process will deploy the device runtime and reboot automatically to finish the OS update.
Note: Please substitute the current version of the EmdkOSUpdateApp APK when EmdkOSUpdateApp_vX.X.X.apk is referenced.
Open finder and copy EmdkOSUpdateApp_vX.X.X.apk into the ADB directory.
Open terminal and navigate to the ADB directory.
Connect a Symbol Android device and enter the following commands to restart the ADB and verify the list of attached devices.
Install EMDK OS Update App.
./adb install EmdkOSUpdateApp_vX.X.X.apk
Run EMDK OS Update App.
./adb shell am start -n com.symbol.emdkosupdater/.MainActivity
The device will be reboot after the device update completes.
- Option 1: Turn Off the AppLock Manager before EMDK device runtime deployment and the AppLock Manager can be turned On after device reboot.
- Option 2: The customer can add the EMDK OS update app name to the AppLock Manager Applications white list before the EMDK device runtime deployment.
Before installing EMDK device runtime on GMS devices, you must enable the enterprise-grade features like Mobility Extensions (MX). To download enterprise enabler for your device, go to https://portal.motorolasolutions.com/Support/US-EN and search for "Enterprise Enabler" along with the device name.
The EMDK device runtime update application will skip the EMDK runtime install if a device has an EMDK runtime version higher than the install version. The EMDK device runtime installation behavior can be modified by pushing an EMDK install mode configuration (
emdkosupdateconfig.xml) to the
/enterprise/usr/ folder on a devices internal storage. This overrides the default settings of the application.
NOTE: This process is not required to use the default installation behavior.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <wap-provisioningdoc> <characteristic type="EmdkOSUpdateMode"> <parm name="InstallMode" value="skip"/> <parm name="RemoveInstaller" value="true"/> </characteristic> </wap-provisioningdoc>
InstallMode Parm Value Options:
This determines the install behavior when the existing version on the device is higher than the version being installed. The default install mode is
- auto - Displays alert box during installation and waits for the user input
- overwrite - Overwrite and continue installation
- skip - Skip and continue installation. This is the default
- cancel - Exit the installation
RemoveInstaller Parm Value Options: Removes the EMDK OS Update application on successful update.
- true - Removes the EMDK OS Update application on successful update (Default).
- false - Don't remove the EMDK OS Update application on successful update.
Note: Supported in EMDKOS Update App v3.1.37 or higher.
EMDK Device Runtime Installation Steps
emdkosupdateconfig.xmland push into
/enterprise/usr/to modify the default behavior.
- Push the
EmdkOSUpdateApp_[version].apkto a supported Symbol device.
- Install EmdkOSUpdateApp application.
- Launch installed EmdkOSUpdateApp application.
NOTE: If the update succeeds, the EmdkOSUpdateApp will be un-installed (if the default settings have not overridden) and device will be rebooted. If the update fails, the EmdkOSUpdateApp application will not be un-installed. The update results will be available at