Device Tracker requires end-user licenses issued by Zebra Technologies. Licensing with Device Tracker is a simple, seamless process integrated with the normal operation of Device Tracker without the need for additional user intervention. Available license types:
- Trial license (90-day evaluation period)
- Term-based license:
- 1-year term
- 3-year term
- 5-year term
This guide explains the process to obtain a Device Tracker license(s) for commercial use and apply the license(s) to individual devices.
- After licenses are acquired, they are synchronized with the Device Tracker web portal either automatically every 24 hours or manually by the administrator.
- Licenses are shared from a single pool of licenses, regardless of expiration date.
- When a device registers to the Device Tracker server, a license is allocated to the device from the license pool on a first-come, first-served basis.
Zebra offers time-limited trial licenses to allow companies to evaluate the performance of Zebra solutions in their environment.
- Customers, partners and distributors: Submit a request through a Zebra account manager or sales engineer
- Zebra account managers and sales engineers: Submit requests using SFDC forms
- Zebra engineers and other Zebra employees and contractors: Submit a request in the Zebra ServiceNOW portal
For hardware with secondary BLE, a 1-year or 3-year Device Tracker special license pricing is available for customers for each hardware purchased (1:1). At the end of the term, a new Device Tracker license is required for Device Tracker to function (follow the procedure below). See the device compatibility table for supported hardware with secondary BLE.
I. Contact a Reseller
The first step in obtaining a license is to engage with Zebra or a Zebra reseller. Visit Zebra's Device Tracker product page and select one of the methods for contacting Zebra directly or engaging with a reseller or partner.
Alternatively, select one of the following Zebra resources:
- Find a Zebra Partner - form for submitting an inquiry via the web
- How to Select a Channel Partner - explains the types of partners that engage with Zebra and some of their technologies and specialties
- Partner Interaction Center - information for contacting Zebra's existing global partner network
- Zebra Corporate Numbers and Links - broken down by global region
- Global Marketing Contact Center - broken down by global region and country
II. Access Licensing System
After a licensing agreement is purchased from Zebra or a Zebra reseller, an email is sent to the requester containing user credentials for accessing the Zebra Enterprise Software Licensing system.
Visit the Zebra licensing support page. Register and log into the portal to:
- Order licenses
- Check status of existing orders
After licenses are processed, the license information is synchronized with the Device Tracker web portal every 24 hours. The administrator can perform a manual synchronization in the Device Tracker web portal to refresh the license data on-demand to synchronize with Zebra Enterprise Software Licensing system. The administrator monitors available licenses through the Device Tracker web portal to view licenses available, licenses consumed and total licenses.
License Summary in Device Tracker web portal
III. Automatic License Assignment
Assigning licenses is seamless and integrated into the device registration process with the Device Tracker server. Licenses are allocated to devices based on enrollment with the server on a first-come, first-served basis.
As part of the device registration process, after a device is staged with the server configuration, it communicates with the Device Tracker server. If a license is available, the server allocates a license to the device. After the device is licensed, Device Tracker is operational on the device. Otherwise, a message is displayed on the device indicating that a license is not available.