Data Capture Plus (formerly known as the "Data Capture Panel") enables areas of the device screen to be designated as scan triggers. By tapping on such a screen area, DataWedge will respond as it would to a scanner button-press or other hardware trigger. DCP is disabled by default.
The DataWedge profile configuration screen allows an app user to configure the appearance of DCP on the screen after a particular Profile is loaded. If the user checks the option to enable the DCP, the five parameters shown below appear on the preference screen and can be configured as desired. Barcode Input must be enabled.
- The DCP does not appear if the scanner is disabled in the active Profile.
- On Android 10 or later, when the Settings app is launched the DCP icon is hidden. This is a known Android behavior due to the Settings app preventing any apps from drawing over it.
- DCP button only works with one enabled scanner when the profile is configured for multiple scanners.
Data Capture Plus options for setting scan triggers
Sets the initial docking location of the floating DCP button. Changes by the user at runtime are saved to the active Profile.
- Right side only
- Left side only
- Either side
Data Capture Plus shown in minimized mode
Sets the mode that DCP will startup with. Button mode is the only option that can interchange between button and full screen modes. It initiates as a floating button and can change to full screen by dragging the button to the bottom of the screen. Once in full screen, it can interchange back to a floating button by swiping down. The launch state is not changed in the Profile. In either Button mode or Button-only mode, the floating button can be dragged and placed anywhere on the side based on the Docking option selected.
- Button mode
- Full-screen mode
- Button-only mode
Data Capture Plus shown in full-screen mode
Sets a ceiling for button position expressed as a percentage of total screen height. For example, on a screen measuring four inches vertically, a setting of 75 (%) would prevent the upper edge of the DCP button from being positioned less than one inch from the top of the screen.
Sets a floor for button position expressed as a percentage of total screen height. For example, on a screen measuring four inches vertically, a setting of 25 (%) would prevent the lower edge of the DCP button from being positioned less than one inch from the bottom of the screen.
The wait time (in ms) that DCP should wait after a screen tap before triggering a scanner action. This can help prevent accidental triggers when dragging the DCP button to a new location.
Note: A quick touch and release of the DCP can sometimes start the viewfinder when using camera as a scanner. To exit, press the back button.
Note: If configured to launch as a button, the DCP mode can be changed at runtime by dragging, but the launch state will not be changed in the Profile. However, runtime changes to the vertical position and the docking side of device screen will be saved to the active Profile.
To scan a barcode with DCP:
1. With DCP enabled, tap and hold the area of the screen designated for DCP. The scan beam (or camera viewfinder) will be active while the tap is held.
2. Aim the scan beam or camera reticle at the barcode to be scanned. DCP will use the preferences configured in the Barcode Input Plug-in for the current Profile.
3. Release finger to stop scanning or to close the camera viewfinder.
Note: A quick touch and release of the DCP control sometimes will start the viewfinder when using camera as a scanner. To exit, press the BACK button.
Programmatically configure DCP and retrieve the configuration: