This section discusses use of DataWedge and its behavior in particular circumstances.
- When the device is suspended, it takes a few milliseconds to release all the resources. DataWedge releases the resources once it receives the Screen Off notification. Until this notification is received, DataWedge continues to function (e.g. scanning) for a short period of time despite the device being suspended.
- Selecting DataWedge as a keyboard or IME (Input Method Editor) from the Virtual Keyboard settings on the device does not display any graphical keyboard. DataWedge keyboard is only for internal use of DataWedge. DataWedge should not be selected as the default IME, otherwise unexpected behavior can occur.
- After a device reboot, DataWedge starts after receiving the LOCKED_BOOT_COMPLETED intent. Calling DataWedge intent APIs before the LOCKED_BOOT_COMPLETED intent may cause unexpected behavior as DataWedge is still not started yet. Calling DataWedge intent APIs soon after receiving the LOCKED_BOOT_COMPLETED intent may also cause unexpected behavior as DataWedge may still be in the initialization process. It is recommended to wait for a few seconds after receiving the LOCKED_BOOT_COMPLETED intent before calling any DataWedge intent APIs.
- Delay in scanning after a device reboot. DataWedge requires a brief period of time to initialize after device reboot due to waiting for a response to be received from the initialization of the scanning subsystem, causing scanning to be inactive from DataWedge during this time frame.
- When Data Capture Plus icon is displayed by DataWedge on top of another application, Android displays a silent notification in the notification area. Users can hide the Data Capture Plus icon by tapping on this notification and disabling the “Allow display over other apps” option. If a user decides to disable this option, even though Data Capture Plus is enabled in DataWedge, it does not display on the screen.
- On Android 10 and higher devices, although the DataWedge icon is visible, DataWedge is not supported with Android work profile.
- If both DataWedge and DWDemo are launched, only the most recent app opened is visible in the recent apps screen in Android. For example, if DataWedge is launched first and then DWDemo is launched, only DWDemo is seen in the recent apps screen.
- DataWedge is not supported for Ephemeral users.
DataWedge supports the use of multiple Android user accounts on a single device, enabling separate user profiles to maintain data privacy.
Features and functionality:
- If DataWedge is enabled, its functionality applies only for the active user - Each user has a separate DataWedge process running. DataWedge usage and functionality only applies for the active user.
- Any DataWedge profile change takes into effect globally across all users - A DataWedge configuration or profile change by a user (through DataWedge UI or profile import) applies to all users regardless of which user is logged in when the change is made. For example, if User A makes a change to a profile, User B sees the change in the same profile. The configuration file is stored in a location (by default /enterprise/device/settings/datawedge/config/datawedge.db) where the DataWedge process across all users utilize the same configuration file.
- Camera scanning functions only for the primary (admin) user - Camera scanning is not available for secondary (non-primary) users.
- Bluetooth scanner disconnects when switching between primary user and other users - This applies to profiles which have a Bluetooth scanner enabled. If the primary user is active, when switching to a different user with an active profile that also enables a Bluetooth scanner, the Bluetooth scanner disconnects and does not automatically re-connect to the device. The non-primary user needs to press the reset button on the Zebra Bluetooth scanner to reconnect, even if it shows that the Bluetooth scanner is connected to the device.
- No external SD card access - If multiple Android user accounts exist, users cannot access the external SD card. This prevents the ability to export or import the Datawedge configuration database files from the SD card.
- Limited folder access - Each user profile has its own folder structure that is not accessible from a different user. Therefore, a user cannot access the exported DataWedge configuration database of another user, preventing the ability to import/export configurations across users.
- "DataWedge not ready" message after switching users following device reboot - When switching from a primary user to a secondary user for the first time after reboot, after attempting to open DataWedge or DWDemo the message "DataWedge not ready" may display. There could be a delay since DataWedge does not start until the BOOT_COMPLETED intent is received.
- Multiple scanners - Use of multiple scanners with multiple Android user accounts may result to unexpected behavior.