DataWedge provides barcode scanning and processing services for Zebra devices running Android. Included with every Zebra device, DataWedge enables all apps on the device (whether stock or added later) to acquire scanned data without using scanner APIs directly. DataWedge can be easily configured to automatically provide scanning services whenever a particular app is launched; to use a particular scanner, reader or other sensor; and to manipulate acquired data according to simple options or complex rules.
- DataWedge 6.5.x, which requires:
- Scanner Framework 5.1.0 or higher, and
- SimulScan 1.9 or higher (on devices that support SimulScan)
To learn more about DataWedge APIs, read DataWedge APIs - Benefits & Usage Scenarios by Zebra engineer Darryn Campbell.
Improved Profile Exporting
DataWedge 6.5 improves compatibility of exported Config files and Profiles for deployment to dissimilar devices. Previous versions of DataWedge support deployment of exported Profiles only to devices that are functionally equivalent to the device that created original Profile. Now, Config files and Profiles created with DataWedge 6.5 will work on any Zebra device model running DataWedge 6.5 or higher. See the Cross-Device Import section of the DataWedge Settings guide for more information.
- GET_DISABLED_APP_LIST - returns the list of apps prohibited from using DataWedge.
- GET_CONFIG - returns a list of parameter settings in the specified Profile.
- SET_DISABLED_APP_LIST - allows updates to the Disabled Apps List, which specifies apps prohibited from using DataWedge.
- SWITCH_SCANNER - allows an app to select from multiple connected scanners at runtime.
- SWITCH_SCANNER_PARAMS - allows an app to set scanner parameters at runtime without persisting those settings.
Updated APIs These APIs have been enhanced to support RESULT_INFO feedback mechanism for intents and include result codes.
DataWedge 6.5 continues to enhance its intent launching structure, which can launch multiple intents (as extras) in a single intent action. DataWedge continues to support all original commands using their original syntax. For details, see the DataWedge API guide.
The version of DataWedge documented in this guide provides the following primary functions and options:
- Scan and process all major barcode symbologies
- Acquire barcodes, images, text, phone numbers, mag-stripe and other data
- Set DataWedge to acquire scanned data for one or more apps
- Create Profiles to implement specific DataWedge features for individual apps
- Enable/Disable decoding of individual symbologies to improve speed
- Set parameters for individual barcodes, scanners and readers
- Format output according to simple or custom rules
- Use plug-ins for data input, output and processing
- Import and export settings
- Remotely configure and mass-deploy settings via MDM
- Restore settings to factory defaults
- Apply remote settings changes immediately
- Handle escape characters with "string at" criteria in Advanced Data Formatting rules
Availability and operation of DataWedge features varies by device and operating system (which determine the DataWedge version installed on the device).
Ready to get started? Go to the DataWedge Setup guide.
To determine which DataWedge version is installed on a device:
1. On the device, locate and tap the DataWedge icon in the Launcher screen or App Drawer:
Launcher icon for DataWedge 6.x
2. Tap the "hamburger" menu. The DataWedge menu appears:
3. Tap About. The "About DataWedge" screen appears. The DataWedge version number is highlighted in the image below. Notice that the Scanner Framework version also is shown.
The "About DataWedge" box showing version numbers
4. If the DataWedge version on the device is different than that of this guide, visit the Zebra support site and download a device-specific Integrator Guide for reference.